[AMPS] Conjugate Matching (again)

measures measures@vcnet.com
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:26:40 -0700

>Just to make sure I was correct, I looked up conjugate match in one of
>my textbooks. A
>conjugate match exists when reactances are cancelled and the resistance
>of the load is
>matched to the internal resistance of the generator. Under these
>conditions, the power
>transfer is maximum. However, since the resistance of the load and
>generator are made equal, the same power is dissipated in both thereby
limiting the
>efficiency to 50%. If your amp is over 50% efficient, then it can't possibly
be conjugately
>matched.

€  amen

>As I stated earlier, we don't design amps for maximum power out. We design
>for desired powerout whilst keeping the tube in the linear portion of it's
operating range.

€  I design amplifiers for maximum power out and good linearity.  For
Class AB1, this means relatively high anode / screen potentials and zero
grid current.  If one does not need full throttle, the solution is to
turn down the microphone gain control and turn off the rotten processor..

cheers, Roger.