[AMPS] Collective wisdom requested...

Leon M Foot lmfoot@global.co.za
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:55:55 +0200

I rejoined this reflector yesterday precisely because I have a Dentron
GLA-1000A linear. Now apart from the SWR/Smith Chart stuff that is way over
my head, I get this message:

> My friend has lent me an old Dentron GLA-1000 amp.  (Yea, I know, it
isn't what I would call much of an amp either but it is in like new
condition and he bought it cheep about 3 years ago and hasn't used it
since.  Sort of a waste.)

Is this a general sentiment?

Mine uses four 6LQ6 / 6JE6C tubes. I have not used it much, but the tubes
seems to be rather flat, not putting out much power. I was thinking of
getting four new tubes but at 4 x $39 it  becomes rather a lot given the
local exchange rate of 6 rands to the dollar (it comes to about 15% of my
salary!!) Should I rather look for something else?

> BUT, that they would not work on 10 meters due to the inter electrode
capacity
diferences...

Is this true? Mine was modified to work on 10m.

Any other suggestions?

73 de ZS4Y
Leon M Foot
Posbus / P O Box 1561