[AMPS] Re: The Worldwide, No Holds Barred, SWR Quiz.

measures measures@vcnet.com
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:50:52 -0700

>measures wrote:
>
>>€  I'm trying, I'm trying.  .  I thought I recalled reading that you
>>supported the theory that the placement of the SWR meter would make no
>>difference in the SWR reading.   I was wrong.  Sorry, Jon.
>
>Only, if the transmission line was 50 Ohms and the load was of a different
>impedance (ie: a 100 Ohm load on a 50 Ohm transmission line measured with
>a 50 Ohm instrument).
>
>A half wave transmission line with a load at end A, repeats the impedance
>of that load at point B (end of the line).

OK

>For your specific case, you are correct.  So one cannot always say that
>placing an SWR meter at different points in a line will not change the
>SWR.  But if the characteristic impedance of the line and the SWR meter is
>the same, it will always read the same SWR.

€  With this I do not agree.   Only when there are no reflected waves
does the SWR meter read the same everywhere on the line.

>In your example, if we used a 93 Ohm SWR meter the SWR would measure 1.86
>not matter where it was placed along that transmission line.

€  .  It seems to me that a 93-ohm SWR meter would read 1:1 at the center
of the halfwave section and 1.55:1 at the ends  -- i.e., the 50-ohm
points.