[AMPS] The Best Value or Best AMP!

Radiodan W7RF RFpower@radiodan.com
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:25:00 -0700

Hi Phillip,

Let me begin by saying I am biased, but I can't help it, I own a HENRY 3K
Premier and love it, regardless of who I represent they still make great
amps!

As Phil says "look under the hood" and see the parts used, there is a direct
correlation as to how long the amp will live and perform. Initial purchase
price is a temporary obstacle, after which you simply enjoy your finely made
amp. If you decide to go cheap, you will have more problems and not
experience what you wanted in the first place. Cheap now, pay later.
Amplifiers are no different than other devices that need your consideration
as to quality except that there are dangerously high voltages and high RF
power present!

If you have never bought Craftsmen or Snap on, then go for the cheaper amps.
If you did buy Craftsmen or Snap on then you know the reason for quality and
were willing to pay for it.
As for tubes, the 3CX1200 series is instant on and very rugged, the 8877
requires less drive (although BOTH will easily do 1500 watts for less than
100 watts drive in the right amp).
If you go with those tiny grid toy tubes popular in some small desktop amps,
then you get what you deserve.

Top off your choice with an accurate and fast (great for PEP SSB and
painless tune-up of your amp) RF Applications VFD wattmeter.
See the HENRY line at http://radiodan.com/Henry/henry_spec_list.htm
See the VFD at http://radiodan.com/rfapps/vfd.htm

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
RF Applications Power Measuring equipment, See the VFD!
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!