[AMPS] The things you see Homebrew Amplifiers

William L. Fuqua III wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:51:44 -0400 (EDT)

  I got an urgent call from the office and planned to save the previous
e-mail and finish it when I returned. However,
in my haste to leave, I hit the send button by accident. I'll wish to continue:

  I got it for parts. Came with 6ea 4-400's which I checked out in my other
amplifier last night. And all were just fine.
Not bad for an $100 investment. It also came with some other good components,
16uf 5KV oil cap, 4ea. 866 solid  state replacement rectifiers,
Vairac, Airdux plate coil, filament transformer, ceramic sockets, B&W Filament
choke and plate choke etc.
  I have operated larger amplifiers. We currently use a 3CX15,000A7 RF amp for
the power source for our Klystron Bunching system in our Nuclear Accelerator
Lab.
It replaced the 3CX10,000A7 Mobley Bunching system about 12 years ago.
It is used to reduce a 2ns Million Electron Volt proton pulse to less than
100ps.
All the RF in this case is wasted in heat in an high-Q resonator used to
generate very high RF voltages. I designed the auto tuning for the resonator
which has a Q of 1600. An auto tuning system was necessary to keep
it in resonance when RF was applied. The resonance shifts quite a bit as it
warms up.
Also included in the auto tuning system is a phase locked RF source that drives
the amplifier. It keeps the RF output in phases (within a fraction of a degree)
with the beam pulse from the accelerator. The researchers were quite
surprised when
we first fired up the system and signal phase and resonator stayed in tune from
an power level of a few watts to 10KW. Resonator shifts in resonance 40 or 50
times it's bandwidth over that power range. Finding the resonance manually
is like
searching for a needle in an haystack.

  73
Bill wa4lav

  William L. Fuqua III  P.E.  E-mail WLFUQU00@POP.UKY.EDU  Phone (606) 257-4155
  Department of Physics and Astronomy      CP-177 Chem. Phys. Bldg.
  University of Kentucky ,                 Lexington, Ky 40506-0055