[AMPS] Re: Filament Xfmr.

measures measures@vcnet.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:53:15 -0700

>Indeed, my HENRY 2K serial number ONE has the original 3-400Z tubes in it
>from 1963 and still puts out about 1200 watts (about what it did new). Many
>HENRY 3K or 3K-A (pair 3-500Z) owners routinely get 2000 watts out and have
>no life expectancy (tube anyway!) problems.

€  I know of two 3kAs - within 50 miles of here - that shorted two pairs
of new, out of the sealed Eimac box, 3-500Zs in less than one day.  .
The 3KA has a killer heavy duty supply with no glitch resistor in series
with the HV positive ckt.  With 3800v on the anodes, the vhf gain of
3-500Zs is a handful.

>One the other hand, I've known guys who can't get more than a year out of
>tubes! I think Rich told us of a fellow in Texas(?) who went through a
>record SEVEN 8877 tubes!

€ The guy in Ohio who discovered the way to settle gold melt balls out of
harm's way, was the guy who reportedly lost seven in an al-1500.  //
There was an al-1500 in Florida that allegedly used 3 in the warranty
period.

cheers, Dan.