[AMPS] The things you see Homebrew Amplifiers

kc4slk kc4slk@csrlink.net
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:37:26 -0400

Sorry guys, but I couldn't pass this opportunity to interject here:

Clandestine operations with an acytlene torch produce interesting
conversation pieces and dandy old wives tales. Try as hard as I could with
several different tubes, I could never get one to suck in from excess
dissapation. I believe it takes a concentrated electron beam to cause such
a thing. I'm guessing at that, I will bow to experts in that field as
required.

I have a few QST's from 1954 with an Eimac advertisement on the page (the
pages were smaller then). They were demonstrating the advantages of
ceramic/glass power grid tubes  (ie. 4cx150 ect) vs. glass envelope triodes
(ie. 250TH etc). The picture shows the 250TL in a lump of molten glass in an
oven while the newer style still retains it shape. I wish I had that picture
as a poster. But it was an advertisement for Eimac.
Cheers,
Mike
W3SLK