[AMPS] Hold on - SWR meter placement

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Fri, 8 Oct 99 09:40:54 -0500

measures wrote:

AG6K>>>€  In a slotted line, when the swr is less than perfect, the voltage on
AG6K>>>the line varies with position.

KE9NA>>What is "less than perfect" SWR, Rich?  I thought SWR was a ratio of max
kE9NA>>voltage to min voltage on the line.  What is meant by "less than perfect"?

AG6K>More than 1 to 1.

Actually, now that I re-read your original comment, I agree and disagree.  With VSWR of greater than 1:1, the voltage on the line does vary with position.  I thought I said that when I talked about slotted line measurements.  However, the voltage varies with position regardless of whether there is a VSWR of more than 1:1 or not!  So you aren't completely correct.

Since the input signal is a sine wave or some other sort of periodic function, by definition, the voltage varies as you move up and down the line.  With a VSWR of 1:1, that voltage STILL varies, the RATIO of peak to minimum voltage is 1:1.  With a VSWR of greater than 1:1 though, the RATIO of peak to minimum is STILL constant down the line.  And since the VSWR is that ratio, it is hence, a constant.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na