[AMPS] The things you see Homebrew Amplifiers

Larry Molitor w7iuv@axtek.com
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 23:16:11 +0100

At 11:31 AM 10/8/99 +0100, Pete Smith wrote:

>I can't speak for real RF power tubes, but I melted a 6KD6 sweep tube in my
>old Yaesu FTDX-560 that way.  Clear evidence of melted glass, followed by
>an implosion, leaving a window in the envelope.
>
>73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Pete, I'm interested in this experience of yours because I was never able
to purposely get a tube to do that. I always experimented with small tubes
(spell that c-h-e-a-p) of similar size. I could easily get the anode white
hot and the tube would eventually go toes up, but never did suck any glass
in. Was there a hole in the anode? Maybe an errant electron beam helping
out? I don't know, but I sure would like to.

I just had an idea. I have the torch and can borrow a digital camera. If
results warrent, I'll try to post a pix! Any body want to volunteer to melt
down their amp for picturs?

73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net