[AMPS] RF Surge Problem

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 26 Oct 99 16:05:18 -0500

Jon Ogden wrote:

>>I use an Alpha-Delta-4 switch with which I select between
>>my Ten Tecs and Yaesu transceivers,  and previously the
>>950SDX
>
>Well, if the Alpha-Delta has 40 dB of isolation then:
>
>100 Watts = 50 dBm
>
>This means that 10 dBm still gets to the Yaesu front end.  10 dBm is 10
>mW.  Enough to blow it up?  I doubt it but who knows.

I forgot to also  mention if the Alpha Delta has just 30 dB of isolation
then you are putting 100 mW into your front end.  That could be enough to
blow something.

I don't like the idea of a sensitive front end designed to pick up
microwatts being subjected to power levels on the order of a fraction of
a watt.  True a good design shouldn't be a problem, but who knows.

I don't understand what the surge suppressor does any that Yaesu claims
failed.  Sounds like the way it surpresses RF surges is by failing!

I guess if no one else has an idea of what the part does, ask the Techs
at Yaesu.  If they don't know, try to find someone at Yaesu that does.
Someone should be able to explain it.  It would be interesting to know as
I also have an FT-1000D.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na