[AMPS] RF Surge Problem

K4SO@aol.com K4SO@aol.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:52:26 EDT

I have replaced two of these in 2 different radios. In both cases, the small
reed relay to T/R switch was fried and the surge supressor exploded! In one
case, the rig "listened" to a transmitter (improper multi-transmitter setup!)
and in the other, lightning was the culprit.

The symptom was normal transmit but no RX, except when using the RX antenna
port (external).

I pass along the relay failure details, but the important point is that the
surge supressor was only a couple of dollars, and was an easy repair. The
relay part number has changed from my documentation as a slightly more robust
unit is the standard now. Apparently, current production incorporates this
newer part. Others may lose the this relay and the surge suppressor and
identify the problem from the symptoms I mentioned. As Phil noted, it was a
rare case (for me) of being to repair a complicated, modern rig and save some
$$$ and time in the process.

P.S. Yes I bought a couple of extras of each part for future use. If they
don't get used, that's okay!

73, Mark