[AMPS] LK500

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:09:14 -0700

re: lk 500 testing

Hi Tony,

Shouldn't be rocket science...    Tune your radio and amplifier for lower
power operation at 15 meters, into a termination (dummy load) and
hopefully install some type of proper 50 power attenuator between the
radio and the amplifier, say 3dB or so.

Limit the exciter output to just enough drive where you can see the
amplifier plate current lightly rise on SSB voice peaks. Then band switch
the radio and amplifier up to the 10 meter band positions, a few very
quick hello's into the mic will tell you if your getting some type of
drive to the amplifier tubes by the plate current reading. Don't do this
but a few quick times to see if the drive causes the static current to
rise on some of the voice peaks. Just a cheap and very dirt test
method...

plate current rise on 10 with voice peaks?

Yes,  probably a problem in the output section/path.
No equals a problem in the input and possibly the output.

Send fax or email me a copy of the amplifier diagram and I'll be happy to
tell you about the mods. I no longer have one here.

cheers
skipp

[snip]
Still trying?  Does anyone have details of the 10m mods for this amp? I
have
a unit that is giving no output on 10m but fine on other bands.  I have
the
export model so presume everything should be there.  There is no marking
on
the front panel band switch other than the AUX position, however, the
band switch has another position after AUX so I presume this is for 28Mhz
and
29Mhz.  There appears to be the input filter for 10m on the ATI6 board.
There are taps on the PA tank coil that are switched in for the AUX and
AUX+1 position.
BTW this is a No Tune version (LK500-NTC).
Any info will be gratefully received..
73 de Tony, VE3RZ