[AMPS] Alpha 99

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rmi.net
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:01:31 -0600

Bob...

I don't think you have anything to worry about, and there's really no need to use ALC - fixed OR feedback type - to protect the tubes. 4CX800s in the ALPHA 99 are very well protected, as are the tubes in all modern ALPHAs. My guess is that leading edge drive spikes will scarcely be noticed, if at all.

To minimize on-air distortion and interference from such spikes, though, it is important to set up the transceiver properly. IMO, the most commonly-made error is to set the xcvr's internal "drive" control - sometimes labeled differently, e.g., "processor out" - too high. Transceiver internal ALC peak action shouldn't exceed roughly 6 dB, or about half-scale on the ALC meter range (if the xcvr has one).

If you want more specific details relative to the '99, you might talk with John Brosnahan or one of the techs at ALPHA/POWER: (970) 535-4173. E-mail <w0un@aol.com> or <apicontact@aol.com>.

Good luck!

73,    Dick   W0ID