[AMPS] Silver Plating in Commercial Products

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 23 Sep 99 09:56:36 -0500

Hi all,

I found out why the company I sell for silver plates their cavity filters.

The filters are hogged out of a block of aluminum.  Aluminum stinks as an
RF conductor as the losses are too high.  Therefore, they plate the
aluminum with silver in order to improve the conductivity and Q of the
parts.  In some cases, if a customer wants to save money and doesn't need
the super low loss performance, we will sell unplated filters.

The silver plating gives about a 50% better improvement in loss over
unplated.  For example, a 6 pole cavity filter, unplated may have an
insertion loss of 1 to 1.2 dB.  After plating, that loss is typically
less than 0.5 dB.

Now, comparing silver to copper.  There is not much difference in pure RF
performance.  Yeah, silver is a little better but not much.  So why not
use copper filters instead of aluminum?  The reason has to do with
corrosion and intermodulation distortion.  Back in the early days of
cellular, Allen Telecom held the market in cellular cavity filters.  All
of them were copper.  However, in the UK, some of the operators started
having problems.  The company I sell for (based in the UK) did studies
and determined that the problems in the base stations were due to the
copper filters.  The copper oxide was causing passive intermod problems.
Silver is far better than copper in preventing the generation of passive
IM.  And silver tarnish (oxide, sulphide, whatever) while not as
conductive as untarnished silver is a better conductor than copper oxide.

So in general the switch was made to silver plated aluminum cavities.
Additionally, I think aluminum might be cheaper and easier to machine
than copper, but I am not speaking with any authority there.  It's a
guess.  It also might weigh less.

And nowdays in order to prevent tarnish of the silver, they coat the
inside of their cavities with some sort of coating that prevents tarnish
as well.

Anyhow, then getting back to the original question:  Should I silver
plate my copper cavity in a UHF amplifier?  Probably not worth the hassle
and cost.  Copper is probably fine.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na