[AMPS] Re: swr

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer@gnlp.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:02:33 -0400

I'll ignore all the imperfection problems (line bumps, poor directivity
of meters, etc.)

If the antenna/load impedance (at the far end) in question here doesn't
match the line impedance, then the line will transform the impedance,
and the SWR will vary (as seen at the near end) depending on the cable's
length, correct?

Nowhere does it say what the antenna impedance measured WITHOUT any coax
in series.

Am I missing something?

73
Mike
n2mg@contesting.com

On Tuesday, September 28, 1999 2:50 PM, Richard W. Ehrhorn
[SMTP:w4eto@rmi.net] wrote:

> Hi Pat...
>
> If the transmission line were ideal (lossless), actual SWR would NOT
change regardless of its length or the point of SWR measurement. With
real (lossy) transmission lines, actual SWR decreases with distance from
the load - due to the loss of the transmission line.

> In most real-life cases at HF, (with up to a hundred feet or so of
RG-8A/u or better coax transmission line having loss typically << 1 dB),
actual SWR does not change very greatly from one end to the other.
Significant point-to-point variations in SWR along the line, as
indicated by most common SWR meters, are due to either (a) imperfect SWR
meters (which virtually all are, from slightly to outrageously!) or (b)
impedance variations in the line itself and/or introduced by connectors,
other in-line devices, etc. Such line "lumps" generally are much less
relevant and noticeable at lower frequencies, more significant at higher
freqs.

> Such SWR and related line-loss issues are discussed in reasonably
understandable fashion in, e.g., the 1995 ARRL Handbook, pgs. 19-4
through 19-6.