R: [AMPS] Reading Reflected and True (?) Power

Maurizio Panicara Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:38:19 +0200

The generated power is the drawn energy multiplied by the amplifier
efficiency factor, the delivered power
is instead the energy effectively transfered to the load.

In a mismatched condition, expecially were readings are done with indirect
instruments like power meters that read a voltage at a stated impedance
(which is not if SWR is high), the effective tranfered power is not so
easily determinable. The algebrical sum of direct and reflected voltage,
roughly correct as a relative reading and to determine VSWR, could be wrong
in the read power absolute numbers.

If I were an officer to check the used power in your station and rules are
relative to the antenna feed point (I don't think so), or I bring the meter
to the antenna feed point (but looks quite impractical), or I will ask you
to tune your amp into a dummy load without changing the drive power. Fixed
this point, if allowed power is really relative to the antenna feed point
(an E.R.P. would have more sense) and not to the transmitter, losses "along
the way" can be taken in account and compliance verifyed.

73,
Mauri I4JMY