[AMPS] Selecting an amp for SSB and RTTY

kk5yy@juno.com kk5yy@juno.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:29:59 -0600

Good Day,

I am hoping to call upon the collected wisdom of the group to
select an HF amplifier for my shack.

The choices in stock are:

An AmpSupply LK-500NT with new Eimac 3-500Zs

A Drake L7(not A) also with new Eimac 3-500Zs

An ETO Alpha 78 that appears to have had little
to no use. This is a 3 holer with 3 8874s

I also have an SGC Power Cube but use that mobile.

The exciter is an Icom IC-756 perhaps changing to the
IC-756 PRO when it becomes available.

The first two are about a wash the LK-500NT is dead easy to
QSY to another band and the L7 isn't so easy.
OTOH the L7 will work the WARC bands and the
LK-500NT will not.

My concerns with the 78 are the famous Icom spike
and future tube availability. Is conversion of the 78
to another bottle feasible or desirable?

The 78 fills both bills but the fragility
of the ceramic tubes concerns me. How
much of a problem, if any, is the spike?
Can it be addressed at the exciter?

I think the issues of VHF parasitics and gold nodules
have been pretty well covered but if there are issues
other than those raised I would be grateful for the
input.