[AMPS] L4B parasitic reistors

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:01:58 -0500

Subject: [AMPS] L4B parasitic reistors

Hi All,

I picked up a very nice L4B the other day that works FB (only used it on 40/80m
though).  When I took it apart to clean the tubes and dust off the chassis I
noticed that two of the three 15ohm 2watt resistors on the each suppressor was
completely burned through in half.  Interstingly, one resistor out of the three
on each one looks like it never got hot at all.  I am going to replace all the
resisters but I was wondering why two out of the three resistors are almost
vaporized while one is intact.  I dont see any sighs of arcing or overheating
anywhere else in the amp - it looks like brand new otherwise.

73,
Kevin
KB9UPV

15 ohms seems a bit low to me, Kevin. I'll bet they are supposed to be 150 ohms
each, to give 50 ohms total. This is the common design for 3-500Z suppressors.

I'm not familiar with the L-4B, do all three resistors reside outside the coil,
or
one in and two out, or all three inside?

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC