[AMPS] High Voltage Connectors?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:08:50 -0500

I get a big chuckle almost every day on E-Bay with people bidding
outlandish prices for the Millen connectors, and of course, Surplus
Sales of NE is always "retail + 100%" on a lot of their stuff.

Bulletin! Bulletin!
The James Millen Co. is alive and well in North Andover, MA!!!!!
Tel. number for the hardware division is (781)662-8939
A complete set of either red or black connectors is under $8.00!!!!

The Millen red and black connectors must be in daily use on 1000's
of amps around the world. There is a mounting scheme to use if going
above 4000 volts that makes them as good as anything else. Most
of my failures with Millen connectors were self-induced > 2 amps/not
mounting on plexiglass or teflon/chassis hole too small. These connectors
allow use of copper spark plug wire from J.C. Whitney in Chicago. This
stuff must be good for 30-40kv and it fits snuggly into the male connector.
It has been charged that the Millen connectors are hygroscopic. The yellow
ones are, but the red and black are not. The yellow ones were for "other
than D.C." applications. You will do very well to out-live a Millen connector
unless you step on it or mount it directly to metal.>(4kv)

The Amphenol connectors are great, but Teflon coax is not very flexible.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

Phil Clements
410 VZ CR 4903