[AMPS] MaCo 750

chuck k8cpa@arrl.net
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:01:40 -0400

At 07:52 AM 4/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I've got a new neighbor who recently moved in and noticed I'm a ham (maybe
>the towers?) and he gave me a 'lug' (as he put it) he's been hauling from
>house to house. It's my first 'boat anchor' and I was wondering if anyone
>knew
>anything about it.
>
>It says 'MaCo 750 Amateur' on the front with no other markings besides
>labels on controls and pl259's on the back. NO serial number, etc. Any idea
>what this is?
>
>Thanks, and 73!

Hi Brian,

A Maco 750 is a "Wide Band Amp" with the ability to Transmit on the 11
Meter CB Band. They just slapped Amateur on the front to make it look like
it was for ham radio use. There is NO band switching and it's got RF
sensing relays on it. I do believe it's a 2 driving 4 type amp, and it uses
your Sweep Tube or Horizontal output tubes, found in old TV sets. The
numbers are 6LQ6 6LF6, ect.... I knew a guy here locally, who used to use a
maco 750 on the CB. Man he would shut the channel down for hours on end!

Anyhow... hope this helps...

-Chuck K8CPA

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps