[AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question

measures 2@vc.net
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:39:11 -0700

>> When nichrome suppressors are used, is there a resistor in parallel with
>> the inductor?
>> 73
>> Peter G3RZP
>
>Actually Peter, if you look at the suppressor Wes tested it was
>identical to the AL80B suppressor except one was nichrome and
>one was regular tinned copper wire.
>
>There was no great difference between them at VHF, but at HF the
>nichrome had much lower Q (as would be expected).

€  Tom --  your theory that the resistance of nickel-chromium alloys
Increases with a decrease in frequency is not supported by any published
measurement.  Every other known conductor exhibits less resistance with
decreasing freq.

>If you take the suppressor design Rich sells, a hairpin, it actually

(key-word)

>has higher VHF Q than the stock suppressor, when they are
>installed in the anode system.

I don't see how this is possible.  There is not much difference in the
length of the wire used in a U-inductor (hairpin)  L-supp and a
coil-inductor L-supp.
cheers, Tom.

end