[AMPS] Suppressors, measurements, and acrimonious blather

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:33:26 +0200

In case the resistance become very high or infinite, not only the
suppressor doesn't work but there's an increased risk to have
parasitics than without the damaged suppressor.
When amplifier power is large enough and the reactance of the
suppressor coil is also high enough to produce in the resistor an RF
current flow that's beyond its capability (more frequently it happens
on 28 MHz), or the resistance rises until a balance point is found, or
the resistor breaks (opens).
A large number of conventional suppressor one can see when opening HF
amplifiers show a resistor that has been evidently overheated but a few
people take the charge to measure what's the actual resistance of those
burned resistors.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

amps@contesting.com,   "'Paul Christensen'" <paulc@mediaone.net>