[AMPS] Suppressors

measures 2@vc.net
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:14:59 -0700

€  The good news is that it isn't all that esoteric.
>As I understand it, these are two devices which have similar physical
>characteristics - when we are looking at electrical characteristics, that's
>not necessarily a valid starting point. It would be as interesting to
>redesign one of them so that the low VHF characteristics were more similar,
>then look at what happened elsewhere.

The VHF Q of the copper-wire suppressor could be decreased by increasing
L-supp and R-supp.  The gotcha is increased dissipation in R-supp at
29MHz.

>The most important characteristic by far is the Rs (sometimes referred to as
>ESR).

€  Excellent point.  The Parallel equivalent resistance of the anode
resonant circuit controls VHF gain.  Decreased VHF Q translates as less
Rs which equals less VHF gain.  This is what parasitic suppression is all
about.

cheers, Steve

end