[AMPS] Suppressors

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 15:19:43 -0400

> >Why is it necessary to aim for this specific 'optimum' circumstance.
>
> Because the staggared-resonances are optimal when there are equal
> currents through R-supp and L-supp at the VHF anode-resonance freq.

Staggered resonances?

The only resonance important to "stagger" for stability is the
parallel resonant frequency of the grid and the parallel resonant
frequency of the anode.

> If one wants to reduce 10m dissipation in R-supp and lower VHF-Q roughly
> 50%, nichrome  is a sound engineering choice.  .

Suppressor Q is a tiny fraction of the anode system's impedance. If
you look at VHF amplifiers, they have extreme values of VHF Q yet
are almost always perfectly stable.

It's important the anode impedance be a value that produces very
little gain or the phase shift is such that the amplifier does not
become an oscillator at the frequency of instability, where the grid
is no longer an effective shield.

There are dozens of ways of accomplishing that.

Nichrome simply adds series-resistance in the primary path of low-
frequency currents. It offers the largest change in loss in the
suppressor at DC, and the least change at the highest frequencies.

Nichrome is a good choice when the PA has instability near the
operating frequency, and you don't want to correct the design flaws
making the PA unstable near the operating frequency.

The biggest flaw in the after-market suppressors sold is they have
low values of series inductance, making VHF Q higher than a
conventional suppressor with more inductance and a modest value
of shunt R in some systems.

I have to chuckle when low Q HF nichrome suppressors are
installed, and people talk about how "smooth" the amplifier then
tune on ten meters. Of course they do, the tank system unloaded
Q at 28 MHz has been noticeably lowered!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com