[AMPS] Suppress the Suppressors

Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:08:45 -0700

Rich Said

"Which contact burned?  Were you present when the contact burned?  ///
The above story seems unlikely because  tank potential is maximal only
when the tank is nearly resonant.  As soon as the band switch is in the
wrong position, the tank is grossly out of resonance.  Furthermore, the
drive delivered to the tube plummets.  When I turn the bandswitch in my
220, virtually nothing happens.  The output drops.  Additionally, the
bandswitch in a 220 is continuously shorting, so how could arcing take
place during switching?"

Interesting analysis.  I never considered my friend was lying to me.  It
should have been obvious to me that he would choose to tell me a lie that he
had been foolish and destroyed his own amplifier by carelessness rather than
tell me the truth that it was a parasitic oscillation.

As near as I can figure it, by telling me he made a gross mistake by
grabbing the wrong knob, he would be covering for the real truth that he was
not smart enough to buy the Measures Parasitic Suppressor kit.  It is better
to be careless and clumsy than ignorant.

Brilliant analysis.

Colin  K7FM