[AMPS] Yaesu FL-2100B Power Supply Problem ???

UNCRICHIE7@aol.com UNCRICHIE7@aol.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:11:42 EDT

A question for you power supply guru's !!! I received a Yaesu FL-2100 B
amplifier. The inerds looked pretty ancient. I guess they should for a 30 yr.
old amp. I replaced the rectifier diodes with 1N5408's. Also replaced some
dryrotted B-Plus wiring. I also installed the Rich Measures Step-Start
circuit, which I disabled in order to trouble shoot the following problem.
The step start circuit seems to operate correctly, And I have eliminated it.
I decided to use low startup voltage in case I made a wiring mistake (which
is possible but not likely unless I have continually looked at the same
mistake and haven't noticed it).
Everything is fine til the rectifier puts out 290-300 volts then the fuse
blows (20A, 120 volt operation) Would a bad filter cap cause this even at the
low voltage I'm seeing.
Or would this indicate a latent transformer problem, I'm really open for
suggestions here, its driving me nuts.
All output voltages on the transformer are correct when I tested them. As
always any help would really be appreciated.    Kurt A. Lacko...