[AMPS] Ameritron AL-811H

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:33:11 -0400

I think this is an excellent example idea of how rumors get started.
Apparently there were two sources, one was this:

> About a month ago, a friend attempted to purchase some
> Svetlana 811's from RF parts and was told that Svetlana
> discontinued the manufacture of 811's.  This seems to
> have grown into an urban legend that ALL 811's are out
> of production. My friend was able to buy Chinese 811's
> so I assume the well has not gone dry.

The other was the Svetlana web page.

Come on now folks. Svetlana hasn't made any 572 tubes in quite a
while. Over one year ago I talked to George Badger and asked him
if we could get Svetlana to test the 572 tubes better, and if we
could get a custom tube with the grid brought out on two pins
instead of one.

His answer was Svetlana wasn't making any 572's, and he doubted
if they would again. The tubes they were selling were all new old
stock tubes, so we had to take what they had and test through
them to find good ones.

There are a half-dozen manufacturers of 811A's, some are OK and
some are poor quality. Svetlana 811A's were reasonable quality,
and I'm sorry to see them go, but there are others that are equally
good still being made.

There are three manufacturers of 572's I know of, and only one is
poor quality (besides Svetlana's old tubes).

One web page saying one company is not "making" a particular
tube does not mean the tube is obsolete.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com