[AMPS] Ameritron AL-811H

Jeff Wolf da_kang@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:22:58 GMT

>There are at least 2 sources of new 811A tubes that I have verified.

>1. Ameritron sells a Chinese 811A they claim is better then the >Svetlana's
>2. RF Parts lists three sources for new 811A'a

>Charles T Johnston - AB7SL
>charles@ab7sl.com
>AB7SL- Ham Radio Pages - with 3D Art Gallery
>http://www.ab7sl.com

I have used the Chinese tubes in the past, and am not impressed.  I
preferred the Svetlana tubes over any of the Chinese tubes.  Maybe Tom is
getting tubes I haven't had the luxury of playing with.  I do know that the
AL-811 and 811H model amplifier is being used all over the 11 meter band,
being driven with monster amounts of drive level, so it would appear that he
has a decent tube, but like I said...  I haven't had good luck with Chinese
tubes in the past.

Cetron and the rest are good tubes, but if you dig down hard enough on the
RF Parts website, you will find that most of them that they have are NOS,
and the good manufacturers have all but dropped out.

Yes, you can find new 811A's.  However, I prefer to use a tube that has
reliable manufacturers continuing production..  Guess that means that we
need to move to ceramic.

--Toll Free