[AMPS]

Wt8r@aol.com Wt8r@aol.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:49:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/00 5:21:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbigg@pcola.gulf.net writes:

>  Here's the deal:  need something to act as a primary actuator and driver
for
>  rolller coils and a vacuum variable.  The problem with trying to find and
>  use an AC and/or DC motor is that few if any meet the basic criteria:
>
>  a.  be reversible
>  b.  have plenty of shaft torque
>  c.  be very slow rpm (can, of course have a reduction gear drive)
>
>  One of the things that looks promising is a tv rotator control unit with
>  indicator box.  The shaft size coupling/adapter is not a problem.  That can
>  be accommodated.  These things have lots of torque.  They have a feedback
>  cirucit and indicator to tell you where they're at.  They're reversible.

Ron,

I would recommend digital stepper motors.

Cheap in surplus stores.
Plenty of torque.
Easily Reversible.
Speed is determined by the rate of stepping pulses fed to motor and all
steppers have reduction assemblies in them.
The stepping angle of motors varies and is fixed, but you can select the
angle you want.
There may even be kits such as Rainbow, etc. where you can purchase parts.
The p.c. driver boards are can be construted from information found on the
internet.

I have thought of using this idea myself and you will find pictures of such
an application at:

                               http://www.angenent.org/W7IUV/amp-pix.htm

Good Luck & 73 de

Dave, WT8R