[AMPS] 811H's on CB

Rick Bullon kc5ajx@hotmail.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:52:42 GMT

Hello Tom
I brought this subject up with Mr Hollingsworth office awhile ago suggesting
that the FCC change the rules stating that you had to have a General class
license to buy an amp ( Tech Plus and Novice class are limited to 200 watts
so they don't need an amp) I also suggested that an individual had to check
to see if the buyer was a licensed ham.( easy to do with the online
callbooks.) I also suggested that failure to follow these rules should carry
a hefty fine.
The response I got was that all suggestions for rule changes had to come
thru the ARRL and that I should contact my divisional director which I did.
The reply from him was he would take it up before the next Board of
Directors meeting. That is the last I heard on the subject, maybe I need to
contact him again and see what he did about it.
I would suspect that the manufacturers would shoot it down if it ever got to
the FCC as it would cut their sales.
As far as manufactures leaving out parts for the 10 meter operation of the
amp, I think they use to do this but have now abandoned the practice.
Probably too much trouble supplying all those small parts and checking to
see if the buyer was a licensed ham
73
Rick
KC5AJX