[AMPS] 811H's on CB

Jeff Wolf da_kang@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:19:13 GMT

>>>I'm disturbed by the posts from our "friend" in Texas that a lot of
>>>11H amplifiers are turning up on CB.

>>Well, design the amplifier so it isn't so easy to modify for 10/11 >>meter
>>operation.  Simple enough fix.  The "green wire" modification >>was so
>>simple that most CBers that wanna run high power can figure it >>out for
>>themselves.

>This is only MORE of the same old CB DRIVEL....Hey Bubba, I'M going to
> >break the law and there is nothing you can do about it.  It is YOUR
> >RESPONSIBILITY (the manufacturer) to make a radio that I can't modify
>->it is the manufacturer's fault.

No, it isn't.  I was posting to Tom that if he wanted the 11 meter opps to
stop using his amplifiers on the 11 meter band, don't make it so easy to
modify.  If he TRULY does care, and is not posting to make himself look
good, it is easily accomplished..  A La SB221.

Seems the FCC would tend to agree with me, too, since the 10 meter radios
are being stopped and the FCC has brought about an import ban list, which
lists the Ranger and HR2XXX series of radios on it.

>This makes about as much sense as saying, I'm going to break the speed
> >limit when I drive my car but it is the auto manufacturer's
> >RESPONSIBILITY to keep me from doing it or building a car that can
> >exceed the speed limt...it is NOT my fault.

Your right.  But, Tom brought it up.  He wants to get his brand of
amplifiers out of the hands of the CBers, and to do so, he is either going
to have to tell them (the distributors) to start requiring a license to
purchase (which will cut off his distributor chain by a large factor, at
least in the low cost arena), or start building his amps so that they DON'T
work on 11 meters out of the box.

>Or, it is the gun manufacturer's RESPONSIBILITY to produce a gun that >will
>only kill birds and squirrels but not humans.

Nope, it isn't.  But, it seems to me that it IS the distributors call to
make sure that the potential buyer is legit in his endeavors (meaning, they
HAVE to make sure of a background check).

Wow, it seems to me that America is against most of your thoughts and
ideals.  Imagine that.

>>>I'm trying to think of a solution for this problem.

>>C'mon Tom, it isn't hard.  Take the input transformer out.  Make it >>a
>>"kit", available to amateur radio operators only.  This isn't >>rocket
>>science..  You telling me that you can't figure out how to >>take 10
>>meters out of an amplifier, and make it a plug in module, but >>you can
>>design a multiband amplifier?

>Here we have a potential criminal telling a legal manufacturer how to >run
>his business.

No, what we have is a citizen of the US telling a manufacturer what would be
needed.  Most of the CBers would pass on the Ameritron line if they weren't
so easily modified.

>>>I'm considering suggesting parts be left out, and made available
>>>from the factory only with a copy of a valid amateur license.

>>A La other manufacturers.  This idea works well.  It keeps the amps >>off
>>the 11 meter band (God forbid one of the Cbers run a clean >>amplifier...)
>>and if a licensed amateur can't figure out how to >>solder >in a input
>>transformer, or a slug tuned coil (or just air >>wound, for >that matter),
>>they have no business operating at the >>hundred watt >level, much less
>>600+.

>Here we have a lid Cber telling FCC licensed Radio Amateurs that they >know
>nothing and that Cbers know everything.  Is this a farce or what?  Maybe he
>wants to get his DBs up.

No, what you have is a person that knows from dealing with these people
telling a manufacturer what it WOULD take, if he is honest in his wanting to
get the stuff out of the illegally used hands.  And we have another with a
personal vendetta that jumps on the admitted CBer every chance he gets with
moronic posts that are fairly verbatum over what he has said time and time
again.

>In addition perhaps adding a notice in each amplifier that any use
>without proof of a license will void all warranty, and having all tech
>support require proof of a license.

What makes you think any Cb'er is going to pay attention to anything he
reads if he does not respect the LAW?

>Again, the outlaw CB'er says that you don't really expect HIM to obey >the
>LAW do you?

SOS.

>>Does anyone have any suggestions for a possible solution? The
>>last thing we need is the FCC finding that the rules they have now
>>aren't doing the job.

Tom, if you are REALLY serious about getting the AL811s out of the CBer
community, read my original post.

>>Sorry Tom, I don't buy it.  Honestly, it sounds like a design >>engineer
>>that is scared that the thought of the simple "green wire" >>mod getting
>>to be public knowledge will get back to the FCC, and they >>will make you
>>change it, or you will face retribution because of >>making a modification
>>to operate on 11 meters too easy.  When I >>firstfound out about the
>>"green wire", I laughed, and my first >>thought was "This has to be done
>>for CBers".... Weather that was your >>intention or not, the simplicity of
>>it gives the impression.

>I find it interesting that a truck driver knows more about electronics
> >thatan engineer.  Here the outlaw Cb'er is disparaging the
> >manufacturer's attempt to comply with the law while he completely
> >disregards it..  Of course, the law means nothing to a toll free >Cb'er.
>I wonder if da_king has ever thought about the RESULT of >everyone on the
>air disregerding all rules and doing whatever they >want to do ??????

I also find it amazing that you would equate a truck driver in this
scenario.  We are talking about amplifiers built for home use, not the Class
C crap boxes being mass produced for the transportation industry.  And
nobody was diparaging Tom's attempts at compliance.  What I was doing was
telling him what it would take...  Why most CBers choose the AL811 amps.
They are simplistic.  I was also questioning his REAL motives.  Is it fluff,
or does he REALLY want to get them out of their hands.  If he does, remove
the tuned input.  Pull the authorized distributors that DON'T require proof
of license to purchase.

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>

>Here the CB'er extroadinaire extols the virtues of disregarding the law
>completely.  It is obvious that this wolf person, whoever he is, has
> >little regard for the law and those who do.  I say again, what is this
> >person hiding and why is he afraid the give his name?  Any legitimate
> >person has NO reason to remain anonymous.

And it is obvious that you have a vendetta against any cber, running legal
or not.  Your comment about them in another post proved that.

Give it a rest.  Your like a broken record.

>This type of attitude and action is what makes CB'ers so DISTASTEFUL to
>Amateur Radio operators.

No, the morons on the 11 meter band is what did that, and the elitist
attitude of the amateur radio operators who believe they are "better" than
the CBer, just because they have a ticket.

>Once again it is clearly demonstrated: A distinct difference between
> >Amateurs and CB'ers, is the regard for the law which Amateurs have and
> >CB'ers don't.

2 meters
75 meters
Enuff said.  Your bands are just as screwed as 27.025 and 27.555.

Toll Free