[AMPS] Problem with SB-220 Bias Diodes

measures 2@vc.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:54:45 -0700

>I need some advice and insight from the amplifier gurus in this group.
>
>I have a Heathkit SB-220 which I purchased two years ago.  I upgraded the
>linear with Harbach's mods (Sorry Rich) as follows:
>
>1. Replaced the capacitors with new capacitors and bleeder resistors.
>2. Replaced the existing rectifier board with a new board.  This board
>includes the replacement of the zener with 8 - 1N4005's.
>3. Installed the Parasitic Suppressor Kit.
>4. Replaced the meters.
>5. Replaced the Fan.
>6. Installed the inrush current limiter upgrade.
>7. Installed the Soft key switching module.
>8. Installed a 'home-made' H.V. fuse using #30 wire .. 1/2" long.
>
>You must be thinking ... why on earth did he do all this stuff?

Because you are not aware of the situation.

>Well I like the SB-220 and it was less expensive to buy the amplifier and
>make the mods instead of buying a new amp.
>Bottom line is ... economics?

€  Harbach does not use enough L-supp in his 3-500Z suppressor.  This
increases VHF gain.  The popped bias diodes may have caused by
intermittent parasitics.  The parasitics may have been caused by not
enough L-supp.

>Here is my problem. About a few months ago I was operating normally and the
>H.V. power supply failed.
>There was no "flash" or "Bang" ... just quit.  I have had the "flash" and
>"bang" when I first fired up the amp when I bought it and operated it
>without any of the mods being installed.  That's one on the main reasons why
>I initially installed the Parasitic suppressor kit.
>
>I opened up the amp and found that one of the 8-1N4005 bias diodes had
>failed.  It was quite obvious ... charred and black circuit board at the
>diode location.

3A diodes are way more rugged .

>The H.V. fuse was still intact.

What is the voltage rating of the fuse?