[AMPS] SWR Protection

Bruce R. Knox bknox@rfapps.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:23:09 -0500

Steve:

Without reading that site in complete detail, I believe he's saying that he
used a MAX-186 12 channel a/d converter connected to a Basic Stamp.  This
is an 8 channel multiplexed a/d converter.  He converts 24 times per second
(same a/d, multiple channels) and builds up peak values for Pf and Pr.  He
then computes the VSWR and trips things out if he gets above 1.7:1.  My
guess is that this arrangement is able to shut things down before they get
too far out of control (or - before the smoke is let out of the
transistors.)

This method works well.  It's true that you need to capture the two signals
together when you have a dynamically changing signal like SSB ("together"
being defined as faster than the two signals are changing!).  The software
peak detectors take care of that problem nicely.

If you really want to use simultaneous readings, I would probably do it
with two a/d converters.  This would achieve your goal. Analog Devices has
a wide range of suitable converters and they sample fairly liberally.

Or, use N4IP's approach - or (sorry for the shameless plug) get one of our
meters... we use a similar method using an 11 MHz PIC.

73

Bruce R. Knox
RF Applications, Inc.