[AMPS] A tuned line problem

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:24:55 -0000

Marv says:

> A rotating contact arrangement driven by small motors?

I'd go for a solenoid driven system as being potentially cheaper, as probably
easier. If the moving contacts were the input and output of the section, the
bypass could be matched.

          ____
          |      |
         B     C
In--------      ---------out
         A-----B

The in/out could be parallel, as in the open frame style relay, andarranged to
make a slab line that was matched when closed. Although I doubt the mismatch
will be noticeable even at 30MHz. As the application sees a fair amount of RF
power, is silver plating really necessary? You could use copper rivets to make
contacts, fitted to contact arms of hard drawn copper strip; the arm A-B could
be just copper strip, too. With reasonable contact pressure, that should be OK
without silver plating or anything.

Sounds an interesting job for a small machine shop.

73

Peter G3RZP