[AMPS] [Fwd: {Collins} Tube Filament Voltages]

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:07:37 -0600

Every amp I build has a filament volt meter calibrated against a
true RMS meter while measuring at the tube pins.  Although my
line voltage is a very stable 243 volts, it is just good sense to glance at the meter
occasionally to make sure everything is within specs. I adjust my 8877
filaments to no less than 4.95 volts and no more than 5.0.

It is also a good idea to look at the meter while keyed down at full power.
I have seen many ham shacks that were under-wired, creating a drop of
several volts between the service entrance panel and the wall socket.
Long, small line cords from the amp to the wall socket will also cause
the same problem. All my sockets here are wired with #4 wire to the
breaker panel. The voltage drop is less than .75 volts with a 40 amp load.
Over-engineering in this area is a good investment!

Season's Greetings to all on the reflector.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

Subject: [AMPS] [Fwd: {Collins} Tube Filament Voltages]