[AMPS] Advice On Homebrewing Chassis Please

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 22:41:38 -0800

>Hey Group ... Best Of Holiday Wishes To All,
>
>After many years of wanting to put together a metal shop of some sort I am
>finally doing so. I now have a foot sheer to go along with my brake. Now I
>am trying to decide what the next tools should be ...
>
>One of my goals is too be able to make a chassis of any size and shape I
>may need. It looks like on commercially made chassis the corners have the
>flaps "spot" welded together. Who can tell me how this is done on
>aluminum?

With a spotwelder.

>I remember the spot welders from metal shop in jr. high school
>and spot welding tin together ... is this all that is needed to put
>aluminum together?

>Another possibility is to weld the corners of the
>chassis together but I fear the needed equipment to do this would be very
>expensive?

roger that.

>Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. If I can become equipped and
>able to turn out a nice chassis I have considered making them available to
>fellow homebrewers.

In my experiences with 8170s, 8171s, et cetera, 1/8" 6061T6 aluminum
plate makes a rigid-enough chassis.  The chassis is merely a  shelf in
the box, so no bent metal is needed. .  PEM nuts/ alum. rt. angle stock
make 4 corner fasteners.  See Good, Bad, Ugly photos on Web site.  See
PEM nut photos.

cheers, Terry

end