[AMPS] Advice On Homebrewing Chassis Please

Mike Sawyer kc4slk@csrlink.net
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 10:14:53 -0500

I would like to know if you can still obtain cane metal and if so where? I
have several old home-brew amps and transmitters where the cane metal covers
have become dented and distorted.
Mike(y)
W3SLK

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike McCarthy, W1NR <w1nr@eecorp.com>
To: Terry Gaiser <W6RU@bak.rr.com>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2000 8:46 AM
Subject: RE: [AMPS] Advice On Homebrewing Chassis Please

Equipping a shop to turn out chassis in mass is quite a chore.  Rather than
standard aluminum boxes, which are available from many sources, I would
rather see enclosures that are designed for the cooling requirements of an
amplifier.  These seem to be very difficult, if not impossible, to find at a
reasonable cost.  Something like the SB-220 case would be very flexible.

Most home-brew enclosures I have seen use solid and perforated aluminum
sheet held together with angle stock and screws.  Spot welding aluminum is
probably not a big deal.  Full blown seam welding of aluminum requires an
inert gas arc welder (heli-arc, etc.) and a lot of experience.

GL and 73.
Mike, W1NR