[AMPS] AM on Titan II

measures 2@vc.net
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:14:53 -0800

>Ken,
>  My rule of thumb for AM linear output is 1/3 the plate dissipation of
>the final.  In your case this would be 1600/3 or aprox 533 watts of
>carrier.  (If you run 100% modulation at more than 375 watts of carrier
>out you would be running more than 1500 watts pep).  It would be a good
>idea to have a peak reading wattmeter or better yet, a scope.
\
amen to that  Ken.

> If you
>don't have a peak reading wattmeter or a scope then my suggestion is to
>load the amplifier on the heavy side and not exceed 375 watts of
>carrier.

Also, if the amp. is tuned correctly for AM service, the plate/anode
current will not vary during modulation.  //  To adjust an AM linear with
a skimpy hv supply, use a tuning pulser.  After tuneup for max pep out,
adj the carrier for 25% of pep max.  /  Remember, for VOX users, it is
not polite to snore.

end