[AMPS] Alpha

Bob Marston k1ta@contesting.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:06:38 -0800

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:15:03 -0500 Tom Rauch wrote:

>I thought you were the one who said everyone was ill informed and
>lazy.

>I was just pointing out your post proves it, since you believe in
>something that anyone with a good basic skill would find full of
>holes.

Before I respond to your post a personal anecdote is in order. Way back
when I was in High School when the option of electives came up I selected
Electricity-Electronics. In the school district I was in this progam was
lavishly funded with a lab that would make most of the hams here drool. 16
highly equipped stations with multiple regulated and unregulated power
supplies, every conceivable meter imaginable all built into some of the
finest furniture that was available. Plus every station had a 30Mhz
Oscilloscope. The instructor was also know not only for his command of the
subject matter but also his delivery and sense of wit. As one may very well
imagine with all this equipment available and the nature of the subject
matter an explosion could be heard every now and then eminating from that
room. On the second day of class when the first formal lecture began the
instructor gave a lecture that I'm sure stuck with at least half the class
for the rest of their lives. He passed out dictionaries to all in the
class. And announced that the subject matter of  the lecture would be
"thinking". And then had each one of the 16 students read one of the four
defintions in that particular dictionary. He then took the first definition
'the process of deductive reasoning' and proceeded to talk about the great
thinkers of humankind. As in Plato, Aristotle, Voltaire etc. Which included
a talk about their accomplishments. Then he talked about the last
definition 'to have a half formed intention' and went into another
discourse on how this lead to many of lifes big screw ups. Then he made the
point that the first definition only applied to only a hand full of people
through out human history that possessed a superlative intellect. And the
last definition applied to everyone else. Then he stated the obvious. (we
were an all male class) "You guys are not a Plato or an Aristotle" And he
would not have half formed intentions in this class. Then in his most stern
voice stated. "There will be NO thinking in this class. You will either
know or you will find out! Because the first two words I hear out of the
bastard's mouth after he blows up something in here is "I THOUGHT". NO
THINKING

And in this case as your words state you were thinking, it was not a figure
of speech. Because you were wrong!

The statement you attribute to me is that 'everyone is ill informed and lazy'

if you go back and reread what I wrote you will see that I stated that
"most hams are too rich and too lazy to attempt building there own equipment."

I did NOT bring up the matter of Rich Measures' webpage or the arced band
switch. But its evident that this is what set you off.

I sent the message of the impending spitball fight because I have been
around this list long enough to know the dynamics of the personalities
involved here. And I am fully aware of the extortion campaign conducted by
your cohorts to bouncing Rich Measures' off list by spamming the list
managers email.

You may know a thing or two about amplifiers but it will be a hot day on
Pluto before I let you twist my words with impunity

K1TA