[AMPS] Clipperton-L input>150watts?

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:45:07 -0800

Jonathan: The 751 should put out a maximum of 100 watts. This can be set
with an internal potentiometer adjustment on most radios to the correct
value. At 100 watts out the IMD distortion will be acceptable. If you
then set the panel power control to 60 or 70 watts the distortion will
be lower. Sometimes a person with a limited knowledge of electronics
will adjust the internal power control to allow a maximum power output
greater than 100 watts. The result is bad distortion and decreased PA
transistor life, not good.
  Over driving your linear will result in really bad distortion,
"buckshot" splatter and lots of nasty comments from adjacent
stations.The front panel power control will reduce the 751 output to the
proper level for driving your linear. If your linear is tuned properly,
you will have a  1-2 S unit louder signal than the 751 alone. Enjoy, 73,
Dan, N5AR