[AMPS] Nichrome/Parasitics/ARRL Handbook 2000

measures measures@vcnet.com
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:58:28 -0700

>Those of you that have not picked up, or had a look at the new ARRL
>Handbook 2000, there is some mention now of Nichrome Parasitic
>suppressors. It reads as follows in chapter 13.26.
>
>"Some designers use nichrome or other resistance wire for L2, but there is
>no credible evidence of any fundamental difference in importance as a
>result." It goes on to say that W4ETO, amplifier manufacturer has never
>seen an HF amplifier using modern tubes that could not be made completely
>free of VHF parasitics by using one of the simple parasitic suppressor
>contruction described above" It does not mention what "advanced"
>techniques should be used!
>
>Anyway for those curious have a read.

Craig --  This was written by Dick Erhorn / W4ETO for the 1995 Handbook,
several years before N7WS/Wes' measurements of copper-wire vs
resistance-wire suppressors.  .  My guess is that Dick never read G. W.
Fyler's article on parasitic oscillation in the Institute of Radio
Engineers' Journal.  //  Sure, the decrease in VHF Q is only about 41%
with resistance-wire VHF parasitic suppressors, however, this might be
enough to make a difference.

cheers

w4ETO