[AMPS] Some Q's Re: Mobile HF Amps

Scott Townley nx7u@arrl.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 00:03:49 -0700

>Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:22:06 -0700
>To: AMPS List
>From: Scott Townley <nx7u@primenet.com>
>Subject: Some Q's Re: Mobile HF Amps
>
>At the risk of sounding ignorant (it's already too late...)
>There seem to be a wide range of Solid State "mobile" HF amps floating
around.  Limiting the field to 1.8-30MHz, I know of the following:

>Henry SS- series
>Ameritron ALS-500M
>Worth-More
>RF Electronics 500/1k 'kits'
>SGC SG-500 'PowerCube'
>Windjammer
>Metron (used only/out of business, apparently?)
>
>Would anyone care to float unadulterated opinion on the good/bad/ugly side
of this list?  Anyone I forgot?

>So far from info at hand I'd have to say my favorite is the SG-500, mainly
because of the form factor and the automatic band switching (several
manufacturers claim auto band switch--then why is there a damn switch on
the front marked 'Band'???).  But you pay...

>Any and all opinions, feelings, wheat and chaff appreciated, direct or via
list.
------------
Scott Townley
nx7u@arrl.net
Gilbert, AZ  DM43
http://www.primenet.com/~nx7u     <-- Now containing details of my HF
Mobile Installation
Collector of:
	Stoddart Aircraft EMI/RFI receivers and accessories
	Big Parts for that Big Linear Amp (someday I'll build one...right!)
	70's era RF test equipment HP/GR/Tek
	Radio-related technical reference material 1940+
"When the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro"
Raoul Duke, Sportswriter