[AMPS] AL-1200, AL-1500, OR?

Phil Levin W2GE w2ge@home.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 09:35:55 -0500

"B. J. \"Tony\" Martin" wrote:

> I have just resubscribed, so if this topic has already been discussed,
> please
> forgive.
>  I would value comments and/or suggestions which would help me decide on
>
> which amp I will purchase.  I have looked and listened and read reviews
> and
> have just about narrowed my choice down to the Ameritron AL-1200 or
> the AL-1500.  I have not found any negative comments on either, but the
> most favorable seem to point to the AL-1200, and that is the way I am
> inclined to go.  BUT, before I do, I would welcome any comments from
> users, owners or former owners or even suggestions of other amps in that
>
> class.  One question I have not been able to find the answer to is the
> replacement
> cost of the 3CX1200A7 (in the 1200) or 3CX1500A7 (in the 1500).  Thanks
> for reading and any replies.
> Sincere 73
> Tony, W4FOA
> w4foa@voy.net
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html

Tony,

I guess I'm biased cause I've got the AL-1200 but I feel its' got a lot
of bang for the buck.  As you probably know you can't kill the tube so
knowing the replacement cost is practically moot.  Cons:  Noisy, needs
alot of drive (I always leave my transceiver on full out-100W Icom 756)
Re: noisy I guess most forced ceramic tubes will be noisy due to their
requirements, I've had glass tube amps which were MUCH quieter.  PROS:
Power House, especially on 160 where I really like it, Very stable, easy
tune, INSTANT ON!!!, Forget the AL-1500, those three minutes can be
along time when rare dx is cqing and like the al-1200 its noisy so you
wont want it running all day, you'll want to turn it off due to the
noise.

Some will say that the Ameritron tank components are undersized but MANY
MANY hvy duty contesters run them 48 hours and love em'.  My two cents,
de Phil W2GE