[AMPS] ameritron al-82

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:20:22 -0500

At 12:10 PM 2/15/2000 -0700, measures wrote:

>>At 07:43 AM 2/15/2000 -0700, measures wrote:
>>>€  However, when the 20m tap on a SB-220 is used for 30m operation, the
>>>operating Q and the circulating current in the tank increases by c. 40%.
>>> This causes a doubling of the  I-squared x R heating in the bandswitch
>>>contacts.  Using the CW tap would help a bit, however, I would not take
>>>the risk.  220 bandswitches are no longer manufactured.
>>
>>On the other hand, if he holds it to the legal 200W power for 30m, the
>>I-squared part will be pretty small, and the risk probably commensurate.
>>
>Decreasing drive and anode current to reduce P-out does not reduce the
>voltage swing across C-Tune --  if the amplifier is  normally tuned for a
>peak in output.   Thus, the AC voltage across C-tune is not decreased by
>reducing P.  (The AC potential across C-tune is the major determiner of
>tank circulating current -- and this is controlled by the anode supply
>potential.)  .

Oh?  So reducing plate current by a factor of 4 doesn't reduce Isquared-R
heating of the bandswitch by a factor of 16, as I'd expect?  Seems
counterintuitive, but I'll take your word for it unless others beg to differ.

73,  Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm