[AMPS] WANTED:VHF amp/or suggestions

Bob N1UJS weedybilt@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:38:35 EST

Lee,

Thanks for your response and suggestion.  I had considered that option  (the
Commander) despite the expense, until over the air chatter has convinced me
they have a problem with recently shipped amps.  I'm hearing of guys with
excessive grid current and unstable grid current problems.  Also some
mention of requiring more drive to produce the rated power.  It's already
beyond my means, but risking that much (even if I had it) only to be
disappointed would hurt.
This is why I started looking for smaller units of older, proven designs.
The investment is smaller as is the risk factor.  (admittedly, smaller
output too)  Another point in favor of the "Clipperton V" type of amp is the
minimal drive requirement.  I don't relish the idea of running my brick into
a large "Henry".  Indeed, the Commander specs. indicate a low drive
requirement, but I would want to hear definitively that these fellows have
solved their problems before I start thinking that big again.

Thanks again for your time, all suggestions are appreciated!

Bob N1UJS