[AMPS] Ameritron 811H

Lee Roberts ki7rw@arrl.net
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:06:36 -0700

I just finished talking to Ameritron tech support about the awful smell
that this amp makes on 10/12 meters. They told me that the smell is caused
by the RFC board overheating above 400 watts output on 10/12 meters. And
that they did. The board is burned pretty good! The choke and resistor
check OK though. He said that there is no solution to this problem.
However, according to the manual, the export models will run at full power
while the U.S. models won't on 10/12 meters!! What is the difference that
allows the export models to run at full power? And why would Ameritron
limit the power out on 10/12 meters for the U.S. model? I feel like I've
been ripped off!