No subject

rb rbigg@pcola.gulf.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:30:30 -0600

Well, we seem to be headed toward some kind of cyclical peak where
everybody's final blows up.  Mine did tonite.

My TL-922A has been working great up until this evening.  I've had it on 75m
SSB every night, with approx 200 grid and 600 plate mils before switching
the amp and xctr to SSB.

When I pushed the mike button to go on the air tonite, I got an arc from
something over on the right rear quadrant, about halfway down (I was able to
get this from a reflection of the arc in a window glass next to the right
side of the final.  The reflection was coming through the louvers on the
side panel of the TL-922A.).  The meters didn't go absolutely bonkers, but
were jittery while the arcing was goiing on.  The arc was established when I
keyed the mike, and would stop when I let up on the mike button.

I have an impression that maybe the arc is at the keying relay.  Are these a
known problem for arcing for no apparent reason?  Whatever happened was
without apparent cause.  Everything else seemed normal.

If it may have been the relay, what is the most common cause, and what is
the cure?

I will pull the unit down and trouble shoot it tomorrow.  Just wanted some
ballpark guesses as to what to look for.

I should add that the bottles still light up nicely.

73 de Ron, K5BDJ