[AMPS] N Connectors

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:52:37 -0600

> One of the connectors that needs replacing is a 7/8" hardline to N connector that
is located
> at the top of a 70' tower. I don't want to have to replace this thing again!

All of the failures I have had with 7/8" connectors was the result of the
connection to the shield breaking down due to the effects of weather
and/or aging. I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a failure on one of
MY connections because after I put the barrel over the shield, I flare
out the copper making a flange that is trapped into compression when
the connector is tightened. I then triple  tape the joint with Scotch #88 tape,
a layer of rubber electrical tape, and a top layer of Scotch #88.

I have seen no specs either, but my feeling is that a properly installed
"N" fitting for 7/8" cable is at least the rating of the cable itself.

GL!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC