[AMPS] TL-922A failure

rb rbigg@pcola.gulf.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:31:58 -0600

Well,  I'm happy to report that my problem with the TL-922A looked worse
than it was.  I found a gizmo I think is the T/R relay up just inside the
front panel  Once I did a little wire tracing and had pretty good assurance
where and what the T/R relay actually was, I then knew the arc I had seen
wasn't coming from that source.

I started looking, and found a coax fitting on the back side of my antenna
tuner (it was on the antenna coax lead-in from the balun outside my shack).
The braid has somehow become detached, and that's where the arc was, as the
blackened area plainly showed.  I changed the plug, and still had a problem
I then found my balun was bad, so changed it out, and got everything going
again.  I suspect the bad coax plug induced the balun failure.

Thanks to all who responded.

73 de Ron, K5BD