SV: [AMPS] DAF Spectrum plots

sm5ki sm5ki@algonet.se
Sat, 01 Jan 2000 23:31:37 +0000

Interesting Dave to hear what can go wrong in spec measurements. Here a long
forgotten idea to simplify routine measurments:

For routine measurements, has anyone of you tried the very simple instrument
for routine measuring the total rms signal-to-intermodulation distorsion
ratio described on page 359 in the old very good stand-by on SSB: SINGLE
SIDEBAND PRINCIPLES AND CIRCUITS by Pappenfus, Bruene and Schoenike?
Published in 1964 by Mac Graw Hill and later on in a paperbound edition, I
believe?

One single reading represents the sum of all distorsion products at any
given power level similar to audio distorsion meters. I will now do my best
to describe this very simple instrument and partly quote from the book:

You feed your twotone signal into a product detector via an attenuator and
mix it with a fixed crystal oscillator with a frequency off about 25 to 50
cps off the frequency that would be  midway beetween the two test
frequencies to avoid an lf beat in the meter indication. After the mixer you
can choose beetwen going straight to your rms meter that has an attenuator
before it or via a simple high-pass filter that separates all the distorsion
products from the two signal frequencies.

You can then compare the sum of all distorsion products to the sum of all
signals since the power in the distorsion products is such a small fraction
of the signal power that it can be safely  neglected. As an example the book
talks about a signal of say, 20 db total distorsion power below  the signal
power, the error is only 1 per cent in power or 0.04 db!

I hope this idea attracts all the  future DAF experimenters, hi! And again,
for the third or fifth time: is it not a shame that so many good ideas will
be forgotten unless someone saves it in a book or on a CD?

Hope that you do not have a hangover after this fantastic millenium
happening? In Stockholm we had the biggest firework ever and everybody was
out in streets despite the minus 10 centigrade.

Prosit de Hans SM5KI